When do we use this?
Getting a Google Account provided by OPS-COM
We provide a free complimentary Google account to all of our clients who have an active OPS-COM (ParkAdmin) installation. This article outlines why we do this and also how to add the Google account to your Android device.
There are a few reasons we provide this service and recommend using a Google Account provided by us to manage your OPS-COM (ParkAdmin) enabled Android devices.
As you may or may not know, to even get on the Google Play store to download apps (such as ParkAdmin) a Google account login is required. Having a Google account associated with an Android device comes with a number of benefits, such as, but not limited to:
- Access to the Google Play Store.
- Remote device data backup to Google servers via Android Backup Service.
- Google Device Manager access for increased security and access control (i.e. remote wipe, reset PIN, locate device via GPS, etc.).
- Increased control on our end (we can see which devices are configured, version, device hardware details, etc). This is particularly useful if troubleshooting potential issues with tablets.
- The ability for us to push alpha and beta versions of the OPS-COM (ParkAdmin) for Android app software to specific tablets as needed.
For the above reasons we have set up a Google Apps account, which is essentially Google services (Gmail, Android device management, etc), but for businesses/organizations which allows for more control than a personal/single user Google Account with added security.
To be clear, you own the devices you purchased and can remove the Google account connectivity at any time or switch to a different Google Account not controlled by us. We simply recommend using a Google account provided by us to make it much easier to manage your devices and not have to worry about creating a Google account of your own.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
This guide outlines how to add an OPS-COM (ParkAdmin) Google account to an Android enabled device. Depending on your Android version the steps may be slightly different, however mostly similar. You will require a @handhelds.ops-com.com email account and password. If you do not have one please contact us.
- Navigate to the settings of your device area.
- Under accounts select add account. Tip: If you already see Google in the accounts area you can also remove existing Google accounts from the device by clicking Google.
- Under the add accounts dropdown select Google.
- Enter the email address we provided you with, which should end in @handhelds.ops-com.com and follow the prompts shown.
Note: You are setting up an existing Google account, not a new Google account. If prompted to use a @Gmail.com address you may have accidentally selected new google account instead of existing.